Author Topic: How much nicotine is in DIP?  (Read 75727 times)

Offline triktrak

• Post Newbie
  • Full time gamer
How much nicotine is in DIP?
« on: November 22, 2011, 02:56:03 PM »
Can someone tell me how much nicotine is in one pinch of dip. I know we all take differed size of dip, but in a average size!
I have seen on the internet that there is like 2-3 cigarettes of nicotine in one pinch, but there must be a different between brands, right?

regards,

Dennis

Offline Tregs

• Post Newbie
Re: How much nicotine is in DIP?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 03:28:45 PM »
unlike Sweden, American dip companies are not legally required to release nicotine content so nobody really knows. It does vary by brand and and even different blends within a brand. USSTC (the company that makes Copenhagen and Skoal) used to list nicotine levels of their different blends on their website, but they took that section down.

Offline jerseysnuser13

• Post Newbie
  • eat, sleep, snus, vape, repeat
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 03:44:42 PM »
How much is in 1 cigarette?

Offline cnashx

• Founder
    • GoSmokeless.org
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 03:46:36 PM »
It's lower than snus, but the fact that a pinch of dip is over 5 times the size of snus you will get more of a nicotine hit from it.
It's usually in the range of 1-7mg/gram.
Hawken is the lowest which is under 1mg/gram. Copenhagen Snuff is supposed to have the most with levels between 6-7mg/gram.

Offline Tregs

• Post Newbie
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 05:12:51 PM »
How much is in 1 cigarette?
I think the average is 0.8-0.9 mg per cigarette. Which is very low, less than 1 mg of nic.

Offline Tregs

• Post Newbie
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 05:15:43 PM »
It's lower than snus, but the fact that a pinch of dip is over 5 times the size of snus you will get more of a nicotine hit from it.
It's usually in the range of 1-7mg/gram.
Hawken is the lowest which is under 1mg/gram. Copenhagen Snuff is supposed to have the most with levels between 6-7mg/gram.
On SMpost somebody did a chart with the data that used to be posted on USSTC site. I think the highest was actually Cope Whiskey Blend (significantly higher than the other blends and flavors), but that was just out of the USSTC dips. I personally think Grizzly is stronger than Cope, Grizzly always feels strong to me and I have been dipping for a couple years now. But since Grizz does not release nicotine stats there is no way to prove this.

Offline cnashx

• Founder
    • GoSmokeless.org
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 06:57:09 PM »
On SMpost somebody did a chart with the data that used to be posted on USSTC site. I think the highest was actually Cope Whiskey Blend (significantly higher than the other blends and flavors), but that was just out of the USSTC dips. I personally think Grizzly is stronger than Cope, Grizzly always feels strong to me and I have been dipping for a couple years now. But since Grizz does not release nicotine stats there is no way to prove this.

There was a study done a few years ago. Wish I could find it but grizzly green is lower than Copenhagen snuff.
It was done with dip, chew and snus.

Offline snusjus

• Post Newbie
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 10:27:41 PM »
Just as with snus, pH level is the major driving factor in nicotine absorption and rate of uptake. I remember reading a study in which Grizzly and Kodiak (both manufactured by Conwood) had pH levels in the 8.5-8.7 range. I vaguely remember the pH level for Skoal was quite low; it was somewhere in the 7.8-8.0 range. Copenhagen had a pH of approximately 8.3 (from what I remember).

A pinch of dip may contain less or more nicotine than a cigarette -- it all depends on the amount of tobacco you use.

Offline triktrak

• Post Newbie
  • Full time gamer
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 10:31:21 AM »
Well i really have a feeling that there is more nicotine in dip than in (for example: skruf extra stark) snus.
Maby its just me but i get a better nicotine hit from Dip than snus!

Offline LIDieselguy22

• Posts Pending
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 08:19:58 PM »
I just saw a video review on Skoal Straight LC from 2010 from Canada. In the video there is a label on the top of the tin that read: " Toxic constituents/gram: .015mg Nitrosamines, .0003mg Lead, 28.8mg Nicotine" -Health Canada.

I have no idea how reliable that information is because the Dip is made in America but the information was printed in Canada :-\. Here is a link so you can see for yourselves:
Dip Review- Skoal Straight Long Cut

Offline cnashx

• Founder
    • GoSmokeless.org
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 09:31:30 PM »
I just saw a video review on Skoal Straight LC from 2010 from Canada. In the video there is a label on the top of the tin that read: " Toxic constituents/gram: .015mg Nitrosamines, .0003mg Lead, 28.8mg Nicotine" -Health Canada.

I have no idea how reliable that information is because the Dip is made in America but the information was printed in Canada :-\. Here is a link so you can see for yourselves:
Dip Review- Skoal Straight Long Cut

Yes. In Canada all the information of contents is required to be on the cans. Supposedly the product isn't exactly the same either.
However that is a total of the over 1 oz of tobacco. So 34.02g/28.8mg per gram = 1.18mg/g of nicotine in that product in canardia. Yes I said canardia. :P

Offline LIDieselguy22

• Posts Pending
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 09:56:37 PM »
Well you may have said canardia but I'm the dipshit(no pun intended lol) who read that as 28g nicotine per gram lol. Well 28mg per gram makes much more sense. 

Offline cnashx

• Founder
    • GoSmokeless.org
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 10:04:20 PM »
28mg/g would put it as the highest nicotine product produced. Definitely not possible. Haha

Especially I believe around 40mg of nicotine could kill a human. And a normal user of dip uses a lot more than 2 grams. For example... I get 3 dips out of a full 34.02g can of dip which would put me at around 11.34 grams per dip. At 28 grams that's 317.52mg of nicotine. Haha at 1.18mg/ that's 13.39mg of nicotine which is around a normal low range strong portion of snus or a large prilla of regular strength snus.
This is total nicotine btw, not free nicotine levels. Free nicotine levels would be less and would depend on the pH of the product itself.

Offline mindexit

• Post Newbie
  • luv Tbaky
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 04:00:39 AM »
unlike Sweden, American dip companies are not legally required allowed to release nicotine content...
They aren't allowed to list it anymore. Likewise here in Australia.

Offline mickeo

• Post Newbie
  • i cant believe i ate the whole thing
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2011, 06:44:42 PM »
They aren't allowed to list it anymore. Likewise here in Australia.
which seems totally stupid to me, when they make food products list everything that goes into it but baci products arent even allowed to tell us the content of the addictive parts.
over-regulation gone nuts
jamie whincup: V8 supercar champ 2011 & 2012 .go holden!!

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal